Mashed potatoes are an all-time favorite and luckily they’re easy to make vegan and plant-based. While vegan butter is available, I don’t promote eating it. It’s high in calories and low in nutrition and contributes to weight gain or cholesterol problems.
But you won’t be disappointed with these creamy-cheesy mashed potatoes because we’re using unsweetened plant milk with a little nutritional yeast for flavor.
I used red potatoes for the photos in this post but Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes work well, too. I recommend leaving on the peel if you’ve purchased organic potatoes and steaming them instead of boiling as they will retain more nutrition that way.
You can see the flecks of red peel in this photo.
Just cube the potatoes and steam over medium-high heat for about 20-25 minutes until tender. Then, drain off the water, put them back in the same pan, and continue with the recipe.
I like to keep my mashed potatoes rather chunky so I used a potato masher instead of a food processor. Whatever you use, be careful not to mash them too much or they’ll turn a bit gummy.
Add the nutritional yeast, your choice of unsweetened plant milk (I like soy milk), some salt, and mash until you get the creaminess you prefer.
Mashed potatoes just don’t seem complete without gravy so I included my Easy Oil-Free Gravy recipe in this post. I also have a Vegan Mushroom Gravy recipe if you’d like to add mushrooms.
And, if you like cauliflower, it also makes a great mash so here’s my Mashed Cauliflower recipe and a Cauliflower Sweet Potato Mash, as well. You could also do a combo of potato and cauliflower! 💕
What do you like to eat with vegan mashed potatoes? One of my personal favorites is to eat these plant-based spuds with my Vegan BBQ Meatloaf. They’re also delicious used in this Lentil Shepherd’s Pie.
Try these other delicious recipes that go well with plant-based vegan mashed potatoes.
I’d love to hear your feedback in the comments below for this Vegan Mashed Potato with Easy Gravy recipe! If you have a photo, post it on my Instagram page, tag me using the hashtag #plantbasedcooking in your caption, and I won’t miss it!
Mashed Potatoes with Easy Gravy
- Potato Masher
- 2 pounds red potatoes unpeeled (if organic) and cubed
- 1 cup soy milk (or other plant milk)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chives or green onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1-2 tablespoons low-sodium tamari (or soy sauce)
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Using a steamer, steam potatoes In a large saucepan over medium-high heat for about 15 minutes or until tender when poked with a fork. Steaming will retain more nutrition, but you can boil them if you prefer.
- Remove potatoes from the heat, toss the water and return potatoes to the pan. With a potato masher or electric mixer, mash potatoes while slowly adding milk, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper.
- Top with diced green onions or chives.
- In a medium saucepan, add flour, onion powder, nutritional yeast to a pan and heat over medium for a minute
- Add vegetable broth, whisking constantly to keep it from clumping. Add soy sauce and Worcestershire. Stir until thickened and season with salt and pepper
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
Leave a Reply